We want to make your experience on this website the best that it can be. We’ve created it with the information that we feel will help you live a healthier and more Mpowered life. So, please understand that the rules and guidelines that we have set in place are to make this a positive and affirming website for you. We respect your sexuality and ask that you do the same for others.
About the HealthMpowerment study
Confidentiality policy for HealthMpowerment
Confidentiality policy for the information you provide
About the HealthMpowerment Study
Here’s what you should know:
HealthMpowerment is a research study out of the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill aimed at increasing overall health and wellness for users by providing access to information and fostering a community that compliments your life. As part of the study, we will be gathering basic information like where on the website users go, how often a page or feature is accessed, technical problems users may have gaining access to the site, etc. This information will not be sold or traded to any other party and will remain confidential. If you have any questions at any time, you should feel free to contact us at healthMpowerment@med.unc.edu.
This study has received funding from the National Institutes of Health (NIH) and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
Confidentiality Policy for Website
We have established guidelines to protect the confidentiality of all users on healthMpowerment. It is our policy that the names of all users and any information associated with your use of the app or our services are confidential. Any release of such information without your informed signed consent or without required disclosure resulting from a subpoena, a court order, or other legal obligation constitutes a violation of your right to privacy. Any healthMpowerment employee or research personnel violating this policy are subject to disciplinary action ranging from verbal warning to termination.
Our standard practices include:
- All employees and research personnel must sign a confidentiality statement before becoming privy to confidential information about study participants obtaining services through HealthMpowerment.
- Information concerning a study participant and/or services provided by HealthMpowerment may be released only with the participant’s signed informed consent, subpoena, or court order.
- All confidential files, including USB memory keys and paper records, are to be placed in a locked container such as a file cabinet or desk drawer. Confidential user information can only be sent via computer if the information is encrypted. Confidential information stored in the computer must be password protected. Paper documents containing study participant information must be shredded before disposal.
- All suspected violations of this policy by anyone will be investigated by the Principle Investigator(s); if substantiated, disciplinary action will be taken ranging from a verbal warning to termination.
Confidentiality Policy for the Information You Provide
When you register on HealthMpowerment, we may ask for some basic information from you (examples include: age, sex assigned at birth, current gender identity, and HIV status). All information that is collected for registration is treated as confidential and private. The information we collect on the app is used to create a more tailored experience for you. We also evaluate this information to help us better understand who uses the app and how we can better serve you.
- The content of the app is for your general information, education, and use only.
- This is a study-related app. None of the information you provide on the app can be accessed nor will it be provided to any third parties. All information that is collected from this app is treated as confidential and private. All employees and research personnel must complete confidentiality training before becoming privy to confidential information about study participants. This study and our use of the information provided on the site is approved by UNC’s Institutional Review Board (IRB).
- We may use aggregate information (i.e. number of log-ons per week; most visited sections or articles, etc.) for administration and improvements to our app, as well as in articles and presentations in professional journals, conferences and workshops.
- When you submit comments to the Forum or questions to Ask the Expert, we will understand this to be your consent for us to post this content to the site.
- HealthMpowerment is not a substitute for a doctor’s visit or professional medical advice. We cannot provide any warranty or guarantee as to the full accuracy, completeness or suitability of the information and materials found or offered on this website for any particular purpose. You acknowledge that such information and materials may contain inaccuracies or errors and we expressly exclude liability for any such inaccuracies or errors to the fullest extent permitted by law.
- Your use of any information or materials on this app is entirely at your own risk, for which we shall not be liable. It shall be your own responsibility to ensure that any services or information available through this app meet your specific requirements.
- This app contains material which is owned by us. This material includes, but is not limited to, the design, layout, graphics, appearance, and content. Reproduction is prohibited other than in accordance with the copyright notice, which forms part of these terms and conditions.
- Unauthorized use of this app may give rise to a claim for damages and/or be a criminal offense.
- From time to time this app may also include links to websites or outside sources. These links are provided for your convenience to provide further information. They do not signify that we endorse the website(s). We have no responsibility for the content or of the linked website(s) or ensuring that it remains active.
Please be advised that HealthMpowerment is a US app and subject to US laws.
If you have a question about anything on this site, send us an e-mail at HealthMpowerment@med.unc.edu. We’ll be back in touch within 2 business days.
Our Mailing Address:
130 Mason Farm Rd.
Chapel Hill, NC 27599